
So for 10 days
I trod upon sharp rocks
Under a blue dome of sky where
I rose with dawn, quietly putting the stars to bed
I judged time for lunch by the shortness of my shadow
I bade goodnight to soleire at the close of each day and
I slept beneath a blanket of countless other universes
So for 10 days
I trod upon round rocks where
I noted the coolness of the evening by the breeze on my cheek and
By the desire for long pants or another sweater or a beanie
I sipped tea with companions at the start of the day and at day’s end
Warmth inside and out
Drifting between the smallest small and the immensity of it all
So for 10 days
I trod upon large rocks
Boulders even
Holding my breath to make the leap to the next and
In the dry creek beds that hadn’t felt the flow of water for perhaps years
I found there my living room, the sandy spots became my sofa, chosen for the relief of shade that a hopeful tree shared in patient knowing that if water returned, it would return here
So for timeless moments
In the sandy creek bed
So I sat in a shady spot, shelter from soliere
With my companions, sipping tea
Where perhaps many women have sat
Together in company
Sharing stories,
Making meals
laughing
Looking after children
Their dark skin and my white like the shadow and skin of the Ghost gum
Creating the refuge
where we all sit
Together continuing this story




No comments:
Post a Comment