22 September 2010

Minderoo Station




























































I'm spending the next few months at Minderoo Station, Western Australia overseeing a renovation of a historic homestead site -- established in 1886 by the Forrest family. The family is quite significant in that they were part of the first explorers to the area and established the first sheep station (ranch) in the state -- and I believe David Forrest became the first premier (governor) of the state. They now run cattle -- and I had a chance to join the mustering (round up) of 2500 head just last week. It was D-U-S-T-Y !! but actually quite fun -- not on horse back, but with motorcycles, quad bikes, helicopter and I was in a 4WD car (all windows busted out) -- more on that later.....
The project is progressing well, but there are unique challenges to building on a site that is 16 hour drive from the nearest big city (Perth) and 3 hours drive from the nearest hardware store -- logistics is vitally important. I have to say, though, really the only surprises have been (aside from one of the buildings being built in the wrong spot) a frog in the toilet, a bullet in the laundry machine, and a slaughtered cow hoisted on a backhoe!




No comments: