Melissa (aka 'Bushie') and I headed down to the Ashburton river last Sunday for a swim and riparian relaxation. Minderoo station is lucky to have the Ashburton running through the length of the property as well as a generous aquafer. Bushie is one of the station's mustering crew (ringers), a true Jillaroo, who grew up on a sheep station outside of Perth. She never leaves home without her 'ringer' hat, hand rolled cigarettes and a couple of cold beers (note eskie in photo). We headed down through Gate 9 on the south river bank to the upper most part of the river -- upstream it is underground and appears dry -- but here is where the water begins. I was a bit nervous about getting in a first because of a photo I saw posted at the Minderoo Station kitchen of a very large crocodile that was seen in the river a few years ago just near the station -- but it hasn't been seen since and it has been a drought since then, so I got in for a swim and so did Bushie. That evening when we drove into town to get provisions, the shop keeper told us that a croc had been spotted just last week at the 5 mile swimming hole(!) We're well beyond 25 miles upstream, but I'm not sure I'll swim in the river again.....the station manager told us we were taking a risk, although people (tourist) swim at 10 mile swim hole all the time.....
04 November 2010
a river runs through it
Melissa (aka 'Bushie') and I headed down to the Ashburton river last Sunday for a swim and riparian relaxation. Minderoo station is lucky to have the Ashburton running through the length of the property as well as a generous aquafer. Bushie is one of the station's mustering crew (ringers), a true Jillaroo, who grew up on a sheep station outside of Perth. She never leaves home without her 'ringer' hat, hand rolled cigarettes and a couple of cold beers (note eskie in photo). We headed down through Gate 9 on the south river bank to the upper most part of the river -- upstream it is underground and appears dry -- but here is where the water begins. I was a bit nervous about getting in a first because of a photo I saw posted at the Minderoo Station kitchen of a very large crocodile that was seen in the river a few years ago just near the station -- but it hasn't been seen since and it has been a drought since then, so I got in for a swim and so did Bushie. That evening when we drove into town to get provisions, the shop keeper told us that a croc had been spotted just last week at the 5 mile swimming hole(!) We're well beyond 25 miles upstream, but I'm not sure I'll swim in the river again.....the station manager told us we were taking a risk, although people (tourist) swim at 10 mile swim hole all the time.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment